Page 10 - Malaysia Builders Directory 2019/2020
P. 10

                 Editorial
 VALUE OF CONSTRUCTION WORK DONE (Q1 2019)
According to Department of Statistics Malaysia (DOSM), the value of construction work done in the first quarter of the year (Q1 2019) recorded a slower growth of 0.7% year-on-year to RM37.4 billion (Q4 2018: RM36.5 billion).
The expansion in value of construction work done was driven by positive growth in the civil engineering sub-sector (9.5%) and special trades activities sub-sector (4.3%). However, the non-residential buildings and residential buildings sub-sectors declined 4.4% and 7.4%, respectively.
CONSTRUCTION SECTOR STATISTICS
In the latest Annual Economic Statistics 2018 report by DOSM, the construction sector recorded RM204.4 billion in value of gross output for 2017 compared to RM177.9 billion in 2015, with an annual growth rate of 7.2% per annum. The civil engineering sub-sector was the largest contributor with RM63.7 billion (31.2%) in value of gross output. The second largest contributor was the residential buildings sub-sector with RM50.5 billion (24.7%), followed by non-residential buildings sub-sector and special trades sub-sector which recorded RM48.0 billion (23.5%) and RM42.2 billion (20.6%) in value of gross output, respectively.
In line with the rapid growth in gross output, the value of intermediate input also increased by RM17.0 billion to RM131.8 billion, with an annual growth rate of 7.2%, resulting in a value added of RM72.6 billion in 2017 (against RM63.2 billion in 2015). Again, the civil engineering sub-sector recorded the highest value added in 2017 at RM22.9 billion (2015: RM17.3 billion), followed by the residential buildings sub-sector with RM17.6 billion (2015: RM16.1 billion) and non-residential buildings sub-sector with RM17.5 billion (2015: RM16.1 billion).
During this period, the number of persons engaged recorded a 1.5% growth to 1,330,266 persons compared to 1,290,474
In terms of contributions, the civil engineering sub-sector continued to dominate the performance of value of construction work done with 43.0% share, followed by non-residential buildings (27.3%), residential buildings (24.5%) and special trades activities (5.2%).
The private sector continued to fuel construction activities with 56% share (valued at RM20.9 billion) while the public sector contributed the remaining 44% (valued at RM16.5 billion).
persons in 2015. The civil engineering sub-sector registered the highest number of persons engaged with 349,765 persons or 26.3% (2015: 25.2%). The second highest was the non-residential buildings sub-sector with 337,838 persons engaged or 25.4% (2015: 25.2%), followed by the residential buildings and special trades sub-sectors which recorded 331,851 persons or 24.9% (2015: 25.5%) and 310,812 persons or 23.4% (2015: 24.0%), respectively.
Meanwhile, salaries and wages paid in 2017 amounted to RM39.2 billion compared to RM32.9 billion in 2015, translating to an annual growth of 9.1% while the value of fixed asset grew 5.4% per annum to RM27.9 billion in 2017 from RM25.1 billion in 2015.
   8






















































































   8   9   10   11   12